The active ingredient in Pepto-Bismol is bismuth subsalicylate. According to a 2014 review in American Family Physician, you should avoid taking Pepto-Bismol during the second and third trimesters of your pregnancy. This is because it raises your risk of bleeding problems when you take it closer to delivery.
What can I take for upset stomach while pregnant?
Over-the-Counter Medications Safe to Take During Pregnancy
- Antacids (Tums, Rolaids, Mylanta, Maalox, Pepcid, Prevacid)
- Simethicone (Gas-X, Mylicon for gas pain, Gaviscon)
- Immodium or BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast or tea) for diarrhea.
Can you take Pepto-Bismol once while pregnant?
The FDA recommends against using Pepto Bismol (bismuth subsalicylate) during pregnancy. According to a recent review in the journal American Family Physician, pregnant women especially shouldn’t take this medicine in the second or third trimesters because of an increased risk of bleeding problems.
Why is my stomach so upset while pregnant?
It’s very common — and normal — to have an upset stomach when you’re pregnant. Chalk it up to pregnancy’s hormonal changes. It usually happens early in pregnancy, while your body is adjusting to the higher hormone levels.
Can you take Tums or Pepto while pregnant?
TUMS provides safe heartburn relief for women who are pregnant. TUMS also adds calcium to your body. When you are pregnant, your body may need between 1,000 mg and 1,300 mg of elemental calcium per day. Be sure to take TUMS at a different time than you take iron supplements.
What over the counter drugs should you avoid during pregnancy?
What medicines should you avoid during pregnancy?
- Bismuth subsalicylate (such as Pepto-Bismol).
- Phenylephrine or pseudoephedrine, which are decongestants. …
- Cough and cold medicines that contain guaifenesin. …
- Pain medicines like aspirin and ibuprofen (such as Advil and Motrin) and naproxen (such as Aleve).
Can you take Zofran while pregnant?
Zofran is approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for use to fight off nausea related to chemotherapy. It is not currently approved by the FDA for morning sickness. Even so, most studies show that ondansetron is safe to use during the first trimester when most women experience morning sickness.
What are some bad signs during pregnancy?
7 Pregnancy Warning Signs
- Bleeding. …
- Severe Nausea and Vomiting. …
- Baby’s Activity Level Significantly Declines. …
- Contractions Early in the Third Trimester. …
- Your Water Breaks. …
- A Persistent Severe Headache, Abdominal Pain, Visual Disturbances, and Swelling During Your Third Trimester. …
- Flu Symptoms.
When do breasts start leaking pregnancy?
Women start to produce colostrum from about sixteen weeks of pregnancy onwards. Sometimes women find that they leak colostrum from their breasts as early as 28 weeks of pregnancy. Do not worry if you do not – it is not an indicator of whether you will have milk for your baby.