When it comes to visitors, those who have colds or other respiratory illnesses should not hold your newborn. If they do not have a runny nose, sore throat, or cough, it is ok for them to hold your baby, as long as they wash their hands or use alcohol hand gel prior to holding him/her.
Can you be around a newborn with a cold?
Try not to have visitors who have infectious symptoms around the baby. For example, anyone with a fever, cold, cough, sore throat, vomiting or diarrhea probably should not visit. Remember, even a person who had infectious symptoms a few days before may still be contagious.
Can I touch my baby if I have a cold?
Stay home or take precautions if you’re sick
Use extra caution if you must care for a baby when you’re sick. Wash your hands before touching a baby if you have diarrhea or a cold. Wear a mask if you have respiratory symptoms like runny nose or cough.
How can I prevent passing my cold to my baby?
How can colds in babies be prevented?
- Adults who have contact with babies and young children should wash their hands after coughing, sneezing or wiping their nose.
- Wash hands after touching someone who has a cold.
- After wiping the baby’s nose, an adult should wash his or her hands and the baby’s hands.
How long is a cold contagious to a newborn?
Yes, your baby may pass on a cold before he starts to become obviously sniffly and irritable. In fact, your baby’s cold could be contagious from a few days before his symptoms appear, until all his symptoms have completely cleared up.
What to do if you have a cold with a newborn?
Treating the cold at home
- Give plenty of liquids, including breast milk or formula (if your baby doesn’t take breast milk). A small amount of water may be offered to your baby if they’re over 6 months old.
- Suction out nasal mucus using saline drops and a suction bulb.
- Moisturize the air with a humidifier.
Should you wear a mask when holding newborn?
All caretakers and siblings should wash their hands frequently and take special care to wash hands before touching newborns. They also should wear a mask when holding the baby. The baby should only be around people who live in the house and are asymptomatic.
Are newborns at risk for Covid?
Babies under age 1 might be at higher risk of severe illness with COVID-19 than older children. This is likely due to their immature immune systems and smaller airways, which make them more likely to develop breathing issues with respiratory virus infections.